Recipe by Baby Kato
This is a quick and easy dessert. It is the bomb. I love the combination of pears, almonds and candied ginger. I got this recipe from my aunt...it is too die for. Hope that you enjoy it as much as we have. We use a shortbread pie crust for this recipe, feel free to use your favorite.
Top Review by cookingpompom
After being married 13 years my DH has dubbed this the best thing I have ever tried from this website - a VERY big compliment! My cooking time was longer and I used Josephine pears. Makes lots, I got 12 slices. I will be making this again. Made for ZWT French leg, The Fearless Red Dragons.
- 4 pears, large, bartlett, peeled and quartered, cut 1 1/2 - 2-inch thick slices
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, brown
- 2 teaspoons ginger, candied, finely minced
- 1 pie crust, unbaked
- 2 eggs, large
- 2⁄3 cup cream, hard (whipping cream)
- 6 tablespoons almonds, ground
- 4 teaspoons pear brandy (optional... may use pear nectar)
- 1 cup cream, whipped cream, garnish
- 1 teaspoon ginger, candied, shredded, garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and slice pears,
- Caramelize the pears in butter and 3 tbsps sugar. Cook until a nice golden brown and set aside to cool.
- Arrange the cooled, caramelized pears nicely in the unbaked pie crust.
- Blend together the eggs, remaining sugar, minced candied ginger, cream, ground almonds and pear brandy or nectar.
- Pour the custard mixture over the pears and place in a preheated oven and bake for 25 - 30 minutes. (or until done)
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving -- this is equally as good cold as it is warm.
- When ready garnish with a large dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle remaining shredded candied ginger overtop.
- Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!