Recipe by Elmotoo
French Tart, this is for you! When 4th of July rolls around in Bowerbank, Maine, it's off to the farmer's market for the first of the fresh peas!! Please don't overcook the tender sweet leetle things. ;)
Top Review by Cadillacgirl
These were fantastic! I made it with peas and lettuce from our garden as part of my "French feast" with recipe #362455, recipe #282349, and recipe #232735. Never had cooked lettuce before and we loved it, although I probably put in more than the called for pepper. Made for ZWT 8!
- 6 -8 lettuce leaves, rinsed and left moist
- 2 cups shelled young peas (or 1 10 ounce package petite peas, partially thawed and broken up)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a heavy skillet or Dutch oven with 3 to 4 large lettuce leaves.
- Add peas; sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper.
- Dot with butter over the top of peas.
- Top with another lettuce leaf or two.
- Cover tightly and cook over medium low heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until peas are JUST tender.
- Check and add small amounts of water if the peas are drying out.
- Lettuce may be chopped and served with peas, if desired.