Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sponge cake found at dim sum restaurants.
- 125 g high-protein flour
- 90 g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon custard powder
- 225 g brown sugar
- 125 g melted butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3⁄4 teaspoon molasses
- 3 eggs
- 180 -190 ml evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- Sift flours and custard powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in sugar; mix. Add melted butter, essence, treacle and milk. Beat in eggs and use a hand whisk to mix until mixture is smooth.
- Sift in baking powder to combine. Pour batter into a lightly greased 20–22cm round cake tin.
- Put into a steamer and steam over rapid boiling water on high heat for 30–35 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove steamed sponge from the steamer and set aside to cool completely before cutting into pieces.