1 hr 20 mins
Nita Holleman's Note:
My husband's Mother made these pies and gave them away to the grieving or friends in Griffin Georgia. She was know in Griffin as "The Pie Lady."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees fht.
- 2Place the pie shell into the pie dish according to the package* directions.
- 3In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, nutmeg and salt.
- 4In another bowl beat eggs well.
- 5Heat the milk to scalding point (just under, but not to boiling point).
- 6Butter may be added to it and melted when milk is heated.
- 7Add the beaten eggs to the dry ingredients.
- 8Mix well.
- 9Add the milk and butter.
- 10Pour all the mixture into the pie shell.
- 11Place the pan in a larger pan with about 3/4 inches water in the larger pan.
- 12Bake at 400 degrees fht.
- 13for 10 minutes.
- 14Reduce the heat to 325 degrees fht.
- 15for about 30 minutes longer or until firm.
- 16"Enjoywhile warm if possible and share.
- 17"Ma Hannah.
- 18*Ma made her own pie crusts, but I use Pillsbury® Refrigerated Pie Crusts.
- 19**Please use Butter only!
- 20SOFT MARGARINE will NOT work in this recipe.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ma Hannah's Famous Old Fashioned Egg Custard
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.2
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 104.5 mg
- Sodium 291.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 31.6 g
- Protein 6.2 g