Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
My husband's Mother made these pies and gave them away to the grieving or friends in Griffin Georgia. She was know in Griffin as "The Pie Lady."
- 1 nine inch unbaked pie shell
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 3 eggs, beaten well
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet milk, scalded (don't boil)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fht.
- Place the pie shell into the pie dish according to the package* directions.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, nutmeg and salt.
- In another bowl beat eggs well.
- Heat the milk to scalding point (just under, but not to boiling point).
- Butter may be added to it and melted when milk is heated.
- Add the beaten eggs to the dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Add the milk and butter.
- Pour all the mixture into the pie shell.
- Place the pan in a larger pan with about 3/4 inches water in the larger pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees fht.
- for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 325 degrees fht.
- for about 30 minutes longer or until firm.
- "Enjoywhile warm if possible and share.
- "Ma Hannah.
- *Ma made her own pie crusts, but I use Pillsbury® Refrigerated Pie Crusts.
- **Please use Butter only!
- SOFT MARGARINE will NOT work in this recipe.
This is the best custard recipe I have tried! Egg custard is my husband's FAVORITE pie. He liked this even better than his Mother's! I was impressed with the smooth texture of this recipe. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I tried using powdered milk and a bit of butter instead of scalded milk, and I replaced about a third of the sugar with Splenda.
This was a great egg custard. I made a double recipe and used half whole milk and half evaporated milk. I didn't completely double one of the ingredients; sugar, I used 1 1/2 cups and it was still plenty sweet. I omitted the nutmeg and used just a small amount of cinnamon. I also added a tablespoon of Vanilla Extract. I omitted step #11 from past experience I saw no need for it. I changed a few things for our taste but I am absolutely positive that the recipe would be perfect for most anyone just the way it is. ENJOY!!!