Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
I vary the color of the M&M's to the different holiday currently approaching when I give these as gifts..another favorite of the grandchildren
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups M&M's plain chocolate candy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- Mix baking soda and baking powder with flour.so you can add flour mixture into one layer.
- Layer ingredients in order given into a wide-mouth. Press each layer firmly so it will all fit in the jar.
- Attach these instructions to your gift.
- Empty jar of cookie mix into large mixing bowl.Use your hands to thoroughly blend mix.
- Add 1 stick butter or margarine, very soft. (please do not use diet).
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten, and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Mix until completely blended. you will need to finish mixing with your hands as this is stiff.
- Shape into balls the size of walnuts.
- Place 2" apart on sprayed cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated 375° for 12-14 minutes until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet.
- Remove cookies to racks to finish cooling.
I'm editing my original review because the first time I made these I used all splenda, and THAT was the reason the cookies were dry and crumbly. However, the second time I made them I DID add another 1/4 cup butter to the recipe, and they came out perfectly, so I would suggest 3/4 cup total butter instead of the 1/2 cup stated. Also, I used a combination of white and brown sugar instead of all white - personal preference, love the taste the brown sugar brings to the table.
It is EXTREMELY hard to get all of the ingredients into a quart jar. My suggestion is to pack the M & M's in a cute little bag and then attach them. I agree with the other reviewer, this recipe tastes very good but needs an extra 1/4 c of butter or an extra egg (this is what I did...turned out great!) or else it is a bit too dry.
Wow! These are amazing! I have always had trouble with cookies, but these came out perfect first time! Thanks for sharing this recipe, family and friends will be enjoying this many times in the future! :)