Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Okay. I know...there are tons of mac and cheese recipes out there - I've tried most of them. Even Paula Deen's! I prefer this version. It doesn't have that "burpy" taste that you so often find because of the addition of mustard and the texture is smooth and creamy NOT gritty like mac and cheese can sometimes be. It's quick and easy and my family loves this!
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (I use a little more)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 lb medium cheddar, shredded
- Cook elbow macaroni as directed, in fairly salty water.
- Melt butter in frying pan over medium heat. Stir in salt and pepper. Add flour, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth (about a minute or two.you really want to cook the flour, without making it brown).
- Remove the frying pan from the stove and add milk.
- Return the frying pan to the burner and gradually increase heat as you stir constantly. When mixture boils, continue to stir for one minute, then remove from heat. Stir in shredded cheddar cheese.
- Add cheese sauce to the macaroni and stir thoroughly.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle top with paprika, then bake for another five minutes.
Yummy, cheesy macaroni and cheese that reminds me of my Nanaâ€™s recipe! She would make hers on the stovetop and add egg also. It was nice and smooth and creamy-be sure to use a nice sharp cheddar. I liked the creamy texture, so I just put it n the crock pot to keep warm and to maintain the smooth consistency, because I did not want the crust from the oven. I made this for Spring PAC 2010. Thanks Lyssie!
This was good and easy to make. We thought it could have used more seasoning but we all enjoyed it.
We really enjoyed this classic mac-n-cheese. I found the sauce to be thick and cheesy, easy to make with a great flavor. I reduced mine by half, and baked it for 30 minutes, which was perfect in my oven. Thanks so much for sharing, JimnLyss. Made for Best of 2010 'tag game.'