Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
There are a few recipes posted on Zaar with the same title; however, this recipe has several different ingredients and it is prepared on the grill. Easily one of the best potato dishes to come from this region. Some advance prep may be needed, you can "carmelize" several heads of garlic for use in other recipes. From Adventures in Grilling
- 3 russet potatoes, boiled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 garlic cloves, carmelized (see note)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced and grilled
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat grill.
- **Note: to carmelize garlic: Slice 1/4 inch from the bottom of whole heads of garlic, rub with olive oil, and place on the grill, cut side down, over low heat. After about 20 minutes, cover loosely with foil and cook until carmelized, about 25 to 35 minutes**.
- Peel and slice the cooked potatoes 1/4 inch thick. Melt the butter in a heatproof casserole and add the garlic. Alternate Layers of the potao and onion slices in the casserole dish, seasoning each laer with thyme, sage, Tabasco, nutmeg and pepper.
- Pour in the hot stock and sprinkle evenly with the grated cheese.
- Cover the dish with a teght-fitting lid or aluminum foil and grill for 10 minutes with the grill lid down. Uncover the casserole, close the grill lid, and cook for 5 minutes.
We really enjoyed these taters! I have never thought of putting something like this on the grill but it worked out just wonderful and the flavor from the grill came through nicely. Thanks, Grumpy! Made for PRMR.
This was really good. I had never put any kind of baking dish on the grill before and was a little nervous but this worked great. I reduced the recipe to 2 servings and the potatoes cooked much faster than they would have in the oven. The potatoes also had great flavor. Thanks for the recipe and introducing me to a new method of cooking potatoes! Made for ZWT5.