Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have been making this recipe for years. It is the moistest chocolate cake ever. It originally came from Hershey's but is adapted to my family.
- 1 3⁄4 cups unsifted flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 13 tablespoons cocoa, unsweetened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 7 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Put into large mixing bowl with the rest of ingredients except for water.
- Add boiling water and stir. (Don't worry, your batter will not be thick.
- Put into greased 9 x 13, or 2 8inch cake pans that have been greased and floured.
- Bake at 350 degreesF.
- Bake layers for 30-35 minutes.
- Bake 9 x 13 for 35 to 40 minutes.
I made this twice! For some reason the first batch didn`t come out as the reviews stated! So I put together an other batch and was so much more airy and light and rich. If you check the photo of mine the top layer is the first mix, you can see it is drier. I messed up and didn`t flour the pans after spraying them!! Please do remember to flour. I filled and topped with Recipe #174315. Thanks!
This was really tasty! I used most of it to make a Black Forest cake then simply glazed the rest - both times were excellent. I did cut down on the sugar a bit but otherwise followed the recipe. Thanks!
After seeing Kiwidutch's photos in the PRMR game, we had to make this ourselves (ok, I begged Buddha to make it for us, lol). All the ingredients were at hand, so we made this up pretty fast which is great when you have a chocolate craving. When Buddha had the batter ready, he showed me and said "Look, there's no way this is gonna be a cake, it's more like a soup!" I replied "Four reviews can't be wrong, just have a little faith." Well, Buddha was enlightened as the 9x13 cake was done up in no time. Nice, light, and very moist, we enjoyed this cake warm right out of the oven! Thanks Lynn, for a great recipe. :)