Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe came from my brother-in-law with a few variations from me. Wonderful and flavorful with very few carbs. If you like your jerk chicken spicey, add more crushed red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper. Cooking time does not reflect marinating time.
- 4 lbs chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons vegetable seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- Mix all ingredients, except chicken, in a medium bowl.
- Cut each chicken breast into 4-6 long pcs.
- Add marinade to chicken breasts.
- Marinate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Can be grilled on barbecue or in broiler.
- Cook just until done, do not overcook. This will dry out if overcooked.
Looks good, but I have no idea what vegetable seasoning is. ????
This is superb! Spice level is a medium perfect, where the kick doesn't interfere with the flavor.<br/><br/>I shouldn't eat salt, so I substituted onion powder. I didn't have any vegetable seasoning (I will next time!), so I dropped it. I used a red bell pepper instead of a green one because that's what was in the fridge. Everything else was as directed, and I cooked it in the broiler. The audience was impressed, and so was I!<br/><br/>Don't throw out the marinade! Sauté it until the peppers are soft (to make it safe to eat) while cooking the chicken and spread it on brown rice...it makes a perfect match.
Fantabulous! I marinated the chicken for 24 hours, and it was so moist and flavourful, delicious! To make it more diabetes friendly, I used xylitol instead of the sugar, and I forgot to add the red pepper flakes, but it still was hot enough and extremely tasty. Thanks for sharing!<br/>Made for My Diabetic Recipes / Diabetes Forum