Recipe by imnoy
This was my contribution to the Australian Women's Weekly's prize recipe section. It's extremely easy and delicious. Enjoy!
- 2 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Apple Burnt Butter Frosting
- 1⁄2 cup butter (do not use margarine)
- 4 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 -8 tablespoons apple juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon; mix well.
- Add applesauce, oil and eggs; blend at low speed until moistened.
- Beat 2 minutes at high speed.
- Stir in pecans.
- Pour batter into greased and floured pans.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 30 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans; cool 45 minutes or until completely cooled.
- In small heavy saucepan over medium heat, heat butter until light golden brown, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; cool.
- In large bowl, combine powdered sugar, 4 tablespoons of the apple juice and the browned butter; blend at low speed until moistened.
- Continue beating until well blended, adding additional apple juice for desired spreading consistency.
- To assemble cake, place 1 cake layer, top side down, on serving plate; spread evenly with about 1/4 of frosting.
- Top with remaining cake layer, top 1/4 of frosting.
- Top with remaining cake layer, top side up.
- Spread sides and top of cake with remaining frosting.