Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
My deviled eggs are the result of fine-tuning and experimenting through the years. I especially like the spices (turmeric, dill weed) used in this recipe.
- 8 eggs, hard-boiled
- 4 -6 sweet gherkins, diced
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 -2 diced egg white
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- prepared mustard or Dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoons pickle juice
- Slice eggs lengthwise, slipping yolks into a separate bowl.
- (I set aside the egg halves that didn't come out perfectly and dice them for use in the egg salad mix.) Add onion, turmeric, dill weed, salt/pepper, about half of the paprika.
- Use a fork to loosen the egg yolks and blend with other ingredients before adding any moisture.
- This helps avoid those lumps of unmixed yolk you sometimes find.
- Add gherkins and juice.
- Add moisture: 1/4 cup mayo and approximately 2 tablespoons mustard to start; mix well.
- (I operate on the principle that you can always make a mix more moist, but taking it out is very hard!).
- Adjust moisture to your preference, using mayo, mustard or pickle juice- whichever is most needed.
- Scoop into egg white halves, top with paprika, chill before serving.
This was a very good recipe for deviled eggs. I did not have gherkins or dill weed so used dill pickle to great results. Everytime I turned around my boyfriend was "testing" another one. Thanks for a big hit.
loved it! i used dill pickles instead of the gherkins, and left out the turmeric (as i didnt have any at the time), and the family loved it! i added the paprika to the mixture in lieu of topping it. FYI-- easy way to fill the eggs? scoop the finished mix into a baggie, seal, and cut a hole in one corner! 100 times easier!