Recipe by AngelaTN
From the famous Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House in Lynchburg, Tennessee, home of the Jack Daniels Distillery. According to the cookbook it's excellent as is, or the sliced bread "may be spread lightly with cream cheese for finger sandwiches and served with a fruit-salad plate for a bride's luncheon."
Top Review by Lvs2Cook
If you like bourbon ~ this recipe is for you! It is lemony with that great bourbon taste. DH and I loved it! It is very easy to make and the loaf is a nice size. Thanks for posting!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Jack Daniels Whiskey
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
- In a small bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder and grated lemon rind. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and continue beating.
- Add dry ingredients and then milk, beating until just smooth.
- Stir in chopped pecans.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 for 45 - 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Poke holes in warm loaf and pour sauce over it, allowing it to penetrate and seep down the sides of the loaf pan.
- Do not remove from the pan until the sauce has penetrated the loaf and been absorbed.
- Remove to wire rack and cool completely.
- Combine ingredients and stir until sugar dissolves.