Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another comfort-food recipe from my late MIL. You may substitute low-fat ingredients if you like.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb beef tenderloin, cut into thin strips (or other tender cut of beef)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 (4 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sour cream
- Brown meat in oil in large frying pan.
- Mix flour, salt, and pepper, and add to meat.
- Continue cooking and stirring until flour begins to brown in pan.
- Add onion, garlic, and water.
- Use spatula to scrape pan clean, gathering all browned bits into the mixture.
- Add soup and mushrooms, and cook about 20 minutes on low heat, stirring frequently.
- Add sour cream and bring to serving temperature (don't boil!).
- Serve over hot noodles or rice.
The chicken soup makes this a real hit. We devoured it!
My family loves this dish. It's very comforting so I make it often. Thanks for a real winner of a recipe!