Recipe by bshemyshua
This is Lydia's way to make beef stew. Lydia came to the United States when she was 18. She shared this recipe with me back in 1998. Very hardy, buttery and filling. Good comfort food. I have never done it, but I see where this could be converted to a slow cooker after sauteing the beef.
Top Review by Aurorafaith
I loves this recipe. Reminded me of home & my families cooking. I made a few personal changes. Instead of butter I used about 2 Tbsp of Portuguese Olive Oil. I don't really like the taste butter leaves behind. I agree with the other reviewer, it needed a kick. To fix this I added a few tablespoons of Portuguese hot crushed peppers (liquid-y form, not flakes). That gave it just the right spice kick it needed. I also used a whole cabbage since my boyfriend and I love leafy greens. This soup makes the entire house smell wonderful. I will be making this one again.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 -2 lb beef roast (depending on how much beef you like) or 1 -2 lb beef steak, cubed for stew (depending on how much beef you like)
- 1 small diced onion
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 medium head of cabbage, chopped
- garlic salt or garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a dutch oven and saute beef in butter until brown. Add onions for an additional 3-5 minutes just until translucent.
- Add potatoes and enough water to cover meat and potatoes.Bring to a simmer and cook until meat and potatoes are tender(about 45-60 minutes).
- Add carrots and cabbage last, cook until cabbage is tender.(maybe 20 minutes).
- Add last, salt and garlic salt/powder to taste.