Prep 8 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an interesting recipe adapted from one posted on celineyum.blogspot.com It's the first time I've seen lychee's used in muffins!
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 cup canola oil
- 1⁄8 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup light coconut milk
- 20 ounces lychees (drained, chopped into small pieces)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl except for the shredded coconut.
- Mix all wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add mixed wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mix until just moistened.
- Fill muffin tins, and sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
Lychees are one of my favorite fruits and I've been wanting to try these muffins for a long time! I was disappointed because they taste like corn muffins. I did not detect the coconut at all and the bits of lychee got lost in the overwhelming "corn muffin" flavor. I love the idea!