Recipe by bluemoon downunder
From the 'New Idea: ultimate barbecue cookbook'. I haven't made this yet but it sounds SO delicious and what a nifty way of getting juice and zest into the drink without having to grate the limes! Sounds also like a great Christmas Day - or any other festive occasion - drink and particularly a welcome cooling drink on a hot day, whether it's served at a BBQ or indoors!
Top Review by Halcyon Eve
Mmmm! Delicious! I made this using sparkling pear juice, which has a nice, mild, not-too-sweet flavor (less intrusive than apple). DS didn't care for it, but that is often how he reacts to new things at this stage. DH and I enjoyed it immensely, and I thought it was easy to throw together--the only thing I don't normally stock is the sparkling juice, which is easy enough to find. Thanks so much for posting this delightful, different drink, bluemoon downunder! Made for Newest Zaar Tag Game.
- 565 g lychees in heavy syrup
- 3 limes, quartered
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 750 ml dry sparkling wine, chilled
- extra lime slice, to decorate
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the lychees and reserve the syrup; set aside six lychees for decoration.
- Place the remaining lychees, limes and sugar into a large ziplock bag; crush with a meat mallet or rolling pin until the fruit turns pulpy; strain the juices into a large jug; add the reserved syrup; cover and refrigerate.
- Just before serving, add the sparkling wine; pour into champagne glasses; decorate with the extra lime slices and a lychee, and serve.