1/7 Photos of Luxury Fish Pie With Cheesy Potato Rösti Topping
1 hr 40 mins
This creamy dish is really easy and quite informal in a way yet made with luxury seafood and cheesy potato rosti topping instead of the regular mashed potato topping, it can be special enough for a smart dinner with family and close friends.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 600 g fresh cod fish fillets or 600 g halibut steaks
- 250 g scallops, cut in half
- 250 g tiger shrimp, peeled and devained (defrosted if frozen)
- 500 ml fish stock or 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 50 g butter
- 50 g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- 5 -6 gherkins, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the rosti topping
- 1Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 7/425°F/220°C.
- 2You will need a baking dish about 5 cm deep of 2 litre capacity, well buttered.
- 3Start off by boiling the potatoes, with skin on, in a saucepan with enough salted water.
- 4Once boiled though, strain off the water and cover them with a clean tea towel to absorb the steam.
- 5Meanwhile, heat the stock in a medium saucepan, add the bay leaf and season it well.
- 6Then cut the fish in half, if they are large pieces, add it to the saucepan and poach the fish gently for 5 minutes (it should be slightly undercooked).
- 7Using a draining spoon, remove the fish to a plate and strain the liquid through a sieve into a bowl.
- 8In the same pan you cooked the fish in, melt in the butter, whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- 9Then gradually add the strained fish stock little at a time, whisking all the time.
- 10When you have a smooth sauce, turn the heat to its lowest setting and let the sauce gently cook for 5 minutes.
- 11Then whisk in the double cream, followed by the gherkins and chopped parsley.
- 12Give it all a good seasoning and remove it from the heat.
- 13Now to make the rösti, peel the potatoes and, using the coarse side of a grater, grate them into long shreds into a bowl.
- 14Then add the melted butter and lightly toss everything together using 2 forks so that the potatoes get a good coat of butter.
- 15Now remove the skin from the white fish and divide it into chunks, quite large if possible, and combine the fish with the sauce.
- 16Next, add the raw scallops and prawns to the fish mixture then spoon it into the prepared baking dish.
- 17Sprinkle the rösti on top, spreading it out as evenly as possible but not pressing it down too firmly.
- 18Finish it off by scattering the grated cheese all over the surface.
- 19Bake on a high shelf of the oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
- 20If you would like to make the fish pie in advance, then you will have to let the sauce cool down completely before adding the fish, scallops and prawns. After you have spread the topping, cover the dish loosely with clingfilm and refrigerate it until you're ready to bake. But you will have to give it an extra 10 minutes of cooking time.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Luxury Fish Pie With Cheesy Potato Rösti Topping
Serving Size: 1 (526 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 745.5
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.5 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 236.3 mg
- Sodium 1854.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 56.1 g