Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Tofu makes a great replacement for ricotta in this tasty dish. You'll find that TVP (available in health food or upscale grocery stores) makes a great replacement for meat. Vegetables can be adapted to your personal taste. I really like spinach and zucchini in mine.
- 1⁄2 lb firm tofu
- 1⁄2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
Textured Vegetable Protein Filling
- 7⁄8 cup boiling water
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein, granules (TVP)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles (1/2 lb.)
- 4 ounces soy mozzarella cheese, grated
- To prepare the tofu filling, blend all the ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- To prepare the TVP filling, pour the boiling water over the textured vegetable protein granules and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onion, green pepper, garlic, basil, and oregano in the olive oil. Add the hydrated granules and soy sauce and sauté for a few minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To assemble the lasagna, cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions and drain.
- Spread 1 cup marinara sauce over the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Cover the sauce with 4 cooked lasagna noodles and spread the tofu filling evenly over the noodles.
- Cover with 4 more cooked lasagna noodles and about 1 1/2 cups sauce, then spread the textured vegetable protein filling evenly over the layer of sauce. Cover with 4 more cooked lasagna noodles and the rest of the sauce, then cover evenly with the grated soy mozzarella cheese, if desired.
- Cover and bake for about 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for 5 more minutes.