Recipe by YummySmellsca
Using my "Rich and Creamy Ricotta" as a base, this is a light but very flavourful alternative to cream cheese frosting that works wonders on carrot, spice or coffee cake! You can even use it to fill cannoli in a pinch.
Top Review by Liz O.
I didn't follow the recipe exactly. I found a bunch of different recipes online and pretty much followed this one except for a few things. I used about 4 ounces of milk free Ricotta (Tofutti's), maybe about 3 ounces of Smart Balance butter, about 3 ounces of lactose free yoplait vanilla yogurt, a few tablespoons of powdered sugar, and about 1 tablespoons of gluten free all purpose baking flour. I used the nutmeg, as well as a little under a tablespoon of vanilla extract. Absolutely amazing. This recipe was a really good starting point for me to make my frosting.
- 4 1⁄2 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese, like Rich and Creamy Ricotta
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated shortening (I used Earth Balance, don't use butter, it makes it too soft to hold up)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 small oranges, zest of or 1⁄2 large orange, zest of
- 1⁄3 cup sifted icing sugar
- 1 pinch nutmeg