Recipe by shirlgirl
I hope you all enjoy these delicious macaroons, those expensive little round things you get at a famous confiserie in Zurich called Luxemburgerli. I have experimented a few times till I got it right, and now would like to share with all Zaarians.http://www.recipezaar.com/help/viewmini?iid=44
Top Review by RotiJala
They require some effort to make but are worth your trouble. I've made mine with powdered sugar and less by a quarter. They're so pretty too! Thanks, Shirlgirl. P.S. I was too lazy to make the filling this way and didn't want to use raw egg yolk, so I used a simple ganache recipe. Heated some cream and melted some chocolate in it (white or dark will do); whipped it up and refrigerated till almost firm. Applied it only when eating. I made the mistake of placing several in a buttered nonstick madeleine pan - they stuck like crazy. Baking paper works better even though the bottom centre still stuck a bit.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 50 g ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- for the frosting
- 100 g butter (softened )
- 50 g powdered sugar (sifted)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 50 g melted chocolate
- 1 lime, juice of and zest
- food coloring, and flavourings of your choice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium size deep bowl beat the 4 egg white slightly, . then gradually add sugar while beating on high speed to a stiff and white cream.
- Fold in the almonds and the vanilla sugar gently.
- Place half of this mixture into another medium sized bowl.
- To the one half , fold in the cocoa powder .
- Fill the mixture into a piping bag, and pipe 2 inch rounds onto baking paper lined cookie sheets.
- Flatten the twirl on top of the macaroon for the botom of macaroon ,and leave the twirl on for the tops when sandwiching together.
- Bake at 75 centigrades for two hours on the top shelf of the oven (no fan oven ) with oven door very slightly open.
- Remove when dry, cool and fill with cream frosting.
- Beat the softened butter and icing sugar creamy.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla sugar, mixing well.
- Halve the frosting and to one half add the melted chocolate, and to the outher half the juice and zest of 1lime mixing well.
- Can glaze top of macaroon with egg white and powder sugar .
- Fill the frosting on each side of the macaroon and sandwich together,then chill to firm up the frosting.
- Use your imagination when decorating tops of macaroon.
- Color and flavour the cream filling to your fancy eg. raspberry coulis and the juice of, to color the macaroon , strong espresso, caramel topping , almond extract , coconut extract , juice of amarena cheeries , etc. or any food colorings and flavourings you fancy." Luxembugers " keep' s two days in refridgerator Enjoy!