Prep 3 hrs
Cook 1 hr
A full bodied jam, tangy and sweet and spicy: a sultry summer's eve in a jar! Kind of wung this one: made up from available ripe ingredients.
- 5 lbs black cherries
- 10 black plums (5 ripe, 5 not quite ripe)
- 5 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons rose water
- 2 tablespoons red wine (i like a shiraz)
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- Pit all the fruit (plan a couple of hours or enlist friends/family in helping!) into a non reactive bowl, along with the salt, sugar, rosewater, spices and wine.
- Let sit overnight.
- Simmer the mixture for 40 minutes,
- skimming the foam off the top.
- spoon into jars, this made 7 pints for me.
- steam process for 10 minutes.
This was amazing! It's unusual and easy to make. I used 4 cups of sugar as my cherries were already pretty sweet. I think I'd use even less next time. I was unable to get this to jell, so I ended up adding Pomona's.