Recipe by kptowle
"Ready, Set, Cook! Hidden Valley Contest Entry" Nothing beats a soothing hot soup on a cold New England winter evening. This lushious soup hits the spot with its lemon infused chicken broth, hearty vegatables and tasty seared meatballs.
- 1⁄2 lb ground chicken
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) packet Hidden Valley Original Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- soup, base
- 16 cups chicken broth
- 4 lemons, juice of
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 cup baby carrots, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) bag spinach, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup marinated artichoke hearts
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. In a large bowl take all the ingredients for the meatballs and mix well. Form meatballs into the size of a small golf ball.
- 2. In a large skillet take the olive oil and heat skillet to med/high and brown all the meatballs all over and set them aside.
- 3. With any leftover fat from the skillet take the shallots and cook till translucent and add spinach and cover till spinach is cooked and set aside.
- 4. In a large dutch oven or soup kettle heat the chicken broth, juice of lemons, bay leafs, thyme, carrots, and artichoke hearts for about 1/2 hours over med/high heat and then take out bay leafs and add 1 cup of the parmesan cheese.
- 5. Turn down heat to med/low and add the spinach/shallots and then the meatballs. Let cook for additional 1/2 hours.
- 6. When ready to serve laddle soup into warm bowls and garnish with remaining parmesan cheese and lemon zest.