3 hrs 38 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Everyone loves these sandwiches! Chuck roast is slowly oven-simmered in a delicious blend of broth, soy sauce, garlic and oregano then shredded to make a luscious beef sandwich. Make it leaner by trimming visible fat off of the roast and let it cool overnight in its cooking liquid to allow fat to separate to the top. Prep time includes overnight cooling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs chuck roast, trimmed of all visible fat
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup tamari or 1 cup soy sauce
- 3 cups water
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- salt (generally, no extra salt is needed)
- 4 -6 hoagie rolls, buttered and toasted
- 10 -12 slices mozzarella cheese or 10 -12 slices provolone cheese (or more)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Place roast, broth, soy sauce, water, garlic, oregano, bay leaves, and black pepper in a large Dutch oven.
- 3Cover and cook for about 1 hour at 350 degrees F, then reduce heat to 325 degrees F and cook, covered, for another 2 to 2-1/2 hours, until meat is tender and falling apart.
- 4Let cool overnight in refrigerator.
- 5The next day, remove separated fat from the top of liquid, shred beef and reheat, covered, until heated through.
- 6Assemble sandwiches with meat and cheese on butter-toasted hoagie rolls; heat sandwiches to melt cheese, then serve and expect no leftovers!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Luscious Slow-Simmered Beef Sammiches
Serving Size: 1 (524 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1163.4
- Calories from Fat 671
- Total Fat 74.6 g
- Saturated Fat 32.3 g
- Cholesterol 253.0 mg
- Sodium 5242.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 82.6 g