Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
My entire family fell in LOVE with this gelato, I tell ya! Instead of making my own mango puree, I just bought fresh unsweetened mango puree from the baking store.
- Mango Puree:
- Peel and cut the mango into pieces. Squeeze as much flesh off as possible. Blend it in the blender or food processor along with the lemon juice. Strain the mango mix into a bowl, so that the stringy bits are eliminated from the puree. You should have about 1 1/4 cups mango puree.
- Gelato base:.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar till pale and lemony.
- In a medium/heavy saucepan, bring milk and cream to a simmer. Turn off heat and whisk half of the mixture into the yolks.
- Return everything to the sauce pan over a very low heat and keep on stirring it till it thickens.
- Remove from heat and strain it into a large bowl. Let it cool for 5 or 6 minutes and then mix in mango puree.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- 10 mins before processing in the ice cream machine, put the mango custard into the freezer and also put the ice cream dasher into the freezer. (this SHOCKS the mix so that not much air is whipped in).
- Process in your ice cream maker.
Unfortunately my custard wasn't cool enough after 5-6 minutes & when I added the mango puree, it curdled. 20 minutes of beating the heck out of it has smoothed most of it out, but only freezing will tell whether I have save it. Next time I'll try waiting for it to fully cool. Maybe it was because my mangos had been refrigerated.
My first taste and attempt at Gelato. Thought it was great but don't have anything to compare it to. Made it for guests who also thought it was fabulous. I also took another reviewers suggestion of making this with canned pineapple and we loved it.
I thought 1 c sugar might make it too sweet but not at all (although that depends on the sweetness of the mangoes used I guess). We didn't have the regular milk on hand (we drink 1%) so I use 3/4 c whipping cream + 1/2 cup half n half + 1 cup 1% milk. Mine turned out fluffy and silky (so more like regular ice cream than gelato). Nevertheless, it's delicious! P.S. It's also great with sweet coconut milk sauce.