1 hr 10 mins
I am always on the lookout for Rhubarb recipes as it's plentiful in my garden. So one day, upon waiting in the doctor's office, I stumbled upon this one in a magazine. Without having anything to write on, I promply stood up, ripped off a length of paper towel and borrowed one of the doctor's pens to jot it down. Both the doctor and I agreed to make this recipe for our family.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups rhubarb, cut to 1-inch lengths
- 1/3 cup golden brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons flour, additional
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 7 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 6 1/2 tablespoons whole milk
- whipping cream or ice cream, for topping
- 1Preheat oven to 375. Butter 11 x 7 x 2 baking dish.
- 2Place rhubarb slices in an even layer. Scatter the brown sugar and 2 tablespoons water overtop of rhubarb slices.
- 3Mix sugar into flour and baking powder mixture.
- 4Add butter and beat for about 3 minutes.
- 5Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- 6Alternate adding milk in 2 additions and fold in flour in 3 additions.
- 7Blend slightly after each addition and pour batter over the rhubarb slices. Smooth over the top.
- 8Bake about 40 minutes at 375 until the top is golden brown.
- 9Cool 30 minutes and serve with a nice dollop of whipping cream.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Luscious Rhubarb Sponge Dessert
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 509.1
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 161.6 mg
- Sodium 331.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 38.6 g
- Protein 8.1 g