Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I am always on the lookout for Rhubarb recipes as it's plentiful in my garden. So one day, upon waiting in the doctor's office, I stumbled upon this one in a magazine. Without having anything to write on, I promply stood up, ripped off a length of paper towel and borrowed one of the doctor's pens to jot it down. Both the doctor and I agreed to make this recipe for our family.
- 1 1⁄3 cups rhubarb, cut to 1-inch lengths
- 1⁄3 cup golden brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons flour, additional
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 7 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 6 1⁄2 tablespoons whole milk
- whipping cream or ice cream, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375. Butter 11 x 7 x 2 baking dish.
- Place rhubarb slices in an even layer. Scatter the brown sugar and 2 tablespoons water overtop of rhubarb slices.
- Mix sugar into flour and baking powder mixture.
- Add butter and beat for about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Alternate adding milk in 2 additions and fold in flour in 3 additions.
- Blend slightly after each addition and pour batter over the rhubarb slices. Smooth over the top.
- Bake about 40 minutes at 375 until the top is golden brown.
- Cool 30 minutes and serve with a nice dollop of whipping cream.
This was a good dessert. I would use more rhubard next time, most likely double. The sugar and water made a nice sauce with the rhubarb, we would just have liked a little more of it. I think if you use more rhubarb, that would do the trick! Thanks for submitting this recipe. I have a large rhubarb patch and always enjoy new recipes.