Recipe by FLKeysJen
From "Great, Good Food: Luscious Lower-Fat Cooking" by the Silver Palate's Julee Rosso.
Top Review by Outta Here
This is one of the best mac and cheeses I have ever had! And low-fat!!! I love the tanginess of the buttermilk and goat cheese. This one will be made again! Made for Fall 2008 PAC.
- 177.44 ml fat-free buttermilk or 177.44 ml low-fat buttermilk
- 473.18 ml fat-free cottage cheese or 473.18 ml low fat cottage cheese
- 113.39 g reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 56.69 g soft fresh goat cheese, at room temperature
- 56.69 g part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- 56.69 g asiago cheese, grated
- 56.69 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 340.19 g penne, cooked according to package directions
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 118.29 ml breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat an 8 x 11.5 x 2-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the blender, place the buttermilk, cottage cheese, cream cheese, goat cheese, mozzarella, Asiago and half the Parmesan, and blend until smooth.
- Place the pasta in a large bowl and add the cheese mixture, and toss until well-coated. Season with cayenne, salt and pepper to taste. Place the pasta in the baking dish; top with the bread crumbs and remaining Parmesan.
- Place in the oven and bake until bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes, until the top is golden brown.