Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "Great, Good Food: Luscious Lower-Fat Cooking" by the Silver Palate's Julee Rosso.
- 177.44 ml fat-free buttermilk or 177.44 ml low-fat buttermilk
- 473.18 ml fat-free cottage cheese or 473.18 ml low fat cottage cheese
- 113.39 g reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 56.69 g soft fresh goat cheese, at room temperature
- 56.69 g part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- 56.69 g asiago cheese, grated
- 56.69 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 340.19 g penne, cooked according to package directions
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 118.29 ml breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat an 8 x 11.5 x 2-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the blender, place the buttermilk, cottage cheese, cream cheese, goat cheese, mozzarella, Asiago and half the Parmesan, and blend until smooth.
- Place the pasta in a large bowl and add the cheese mixture, and toss until well-coated. Season with cayenne, salt and pepper to taste. Place the pasta in the baking dish; top with the bread crumbs and remaining Parmesan.
- Place in the oven and bake until bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
This is one of the best mac and cheeses I have ever had! And low-fat!!! I love the tanginess of the buttermilk and goat cheese. This one will be made again! Made for Fall 2008 PAC.
This turned out yummy. My family didn't even guess it was low-fat so that is always a plus! Delish! Made for ZWT4 for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.