1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
This is a lower-fat version of lemon cake I discovered in a recent issue of Cooking Light. The frosting works best when the cream cheese is cold--use it right from the refrigerator. Don't skip letting the frosting chill for an hour before you frost cake otherwise frosting will be too thin. Store finished cake in the refrigerator.
My Private Note
nine in ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon rind, grated
- 3 tablespoons lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free buttermilk
- cooking spray
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2To prepare cake: Place first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes).
- 3Add eggs and egg whites, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 4Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; stir will with a whisk.
- 5Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with four mixture; beat well after each addition.
- 6Cut a circle of parchment paper for bottom of 2 (9-inch) round cake pans and spray sides with cooking spray.
- 7Divide batter between pans.
- 8Sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles.
- 9Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 10Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans.
- 11Cool completely on wire rack.
- 12To prepare frosting: Place 2 tablespoons butter and the next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until fluffy.
- 13Add powdered sugar and beat at low speed just until blended (do not over beat).
- 14Chill 1 hour.
- 15Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting.
- 16Top with remaining cake layer.
- 17Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- 18Store cake loosely covered in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Luscious Lemonade Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.2
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 49.6 mg
- Sodium 233.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 44.4 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: