Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This elegant silvery white cake is layered with a fresh lemon filling made with white chocolate and cream cheese. It is a lovely dessert for an Easter luncheon.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter or 3⁄4 cup white vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 large egg whites
lemon truffle filling
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1 cup chopped white chocolate chips or 1 cup vanilla baking chips (6 ounces)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
whipped cream frosting
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- shaved white chocolate, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- MAKE THE CAKE.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, and butter or shortening.
- Blend until the butter is evenly mixed.
- Add the vanilla.
- Beat at low speed for 1 minute, then increase the speed to high and beat for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl constantly, beating until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Gently but thoroughly fold the whites into the cake batter.
- Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the cakes feel firm when touched in the center.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Split the cooled layers horizontally to make 4 layers in all.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk in the water until smooth.
- Cook over medium high heat until the mixture comes to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks with a fork.
- Stir about 1/4 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks; blend well.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the mixture in the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until the mixture boils, whisking constantly, then continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and lemon juice and zest.
- Transfer half of the hot filling to a small bowl and cool for 15 minutes.
- Add the white chocolate to the hot filling in the saucepan and stir until the chocolate is melted; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy.
- Beat in the white chocolate mixture until light and smooth.
- Spread one third of the white chocolate filling over one layer of the cake.
- Top with a second cake layer, then spread with one third more of the filling; top with a third cake layer and spread the remaining filling over.
- Top with the last cake layer and spread reserved lemon mixture.
- Refrigerate, uncovered, 2 to 3 hours, until the filling is set.
- MAKE THE FROSTING.
- In another bowl, whip the cream and sweeten it with the confectioners sugar.
- Frost the sides of the cake with half of the whipped cream frosting.
- Put the remaining frosting into a pastry bag and pipe decoratively around the top and bottom edge of the cake.
- Garnish with shaved white chocolate.
- Refrigerate up to 8 hours before serving.
- Makes 16 servings.
- The Great Holiday Baking Book Beatrice Ojakangas.
I made this cake for Mother's Day and it was fantastic!