1/1 Photo of Luscious Lemon Truffle Cake
1 hr 5 mins
This elegant silvery white cake is layered with a fresh lemon filling made with white chocolate and cream cheese. It is a lovely dessert for an Easter luncheon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter or 3/4 cup white vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 large egg whites
lemon truffle filling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1 cup chopped white chocolate chips or 1 cup vanilla baking chips (6 ounces)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
whipped cream frosting
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- 2Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- 3MAKE THE CAKE.
- 4In a large bowl with an electric mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, and butter or shortening.
- 5Blend until the butter is evenly mixed.
- 6Add the vanilla.
- 7Beat at low speed for 1 minute, then increase the speed to high and beat for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl constantly, beating until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- 8In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- 9Gently but thoroughly fold the whites into the cake batter.
- 10Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
- 11Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the cakes feel firm when touched in the center.
- 12Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- 13Split the cooled layers horizontally to make 4 layers in all.
- 14TO MAKE THE FILLING, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan.
- 15Whisk in the water until smooth.
- 16Cook over medium high heat until the mixture comes to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 17Reduce the heat to low and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- 18Remove from the heat.
- 19In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks with a fork.
- 20Stir about 1/4 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks; blend well.
- 21Add the egg yolk mixture to the mixture in the saucepan.
- 22Cook over low heat until the mixture boils, whisking constantly, then continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- 23Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and lemon juice and zest.
- 24Transfer half of the hot filling to a small bowl and cool for 15 minutes.
- 25Add the white chocolate to the hot filling in the saucepan and stir until the chocolate is melted; set aside.
- 26In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy.
- 27Beat in the white chocolate mixture until light and smooth.
- 28Spread one third of the white chocolate filling over one layer of the cake.
- 29Top with a second cake layer, then spread with one third more of the filling; top with a third cake layer and spread the remaining filling over.
- 30Top with the last cake layer and spread reserved lemon mixture.
- 31Refrigerate, uncovered, 2 to 3 hours, until the filling is set.
- 32MAKE THE FROSTING.
- 33In another bowl, whip the cream and sweeten it with the confectioners sugar.
- 34Frost the sides of the cake with half of the whipped cream frosting.
- 35Put the remaining frosting into a pastry bag and pipe decoratively around the top and bottom edge of the cake.
- 36Garnish with shaved white chocolate.
- 37Refrigerate up to 8 hours before serving.
- 38Makes 16 servings.
- 39The Great Holiday Baking Book Beatrice Ojakangas.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Luscious Lemon Truffle Cake
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 459.1
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 88.7 mg
- Sodium 351.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 38.6 g
- Protein 5.8 g