Recipe by Katzen
This is the recipe by Glo McNeill, 82, of Lunenburg, N.S. that won the grand prize on the Canadian Show 'Recipe to Riches', by Food Network Canada. She said the recipe was inspired by her childhood in post-war England and the happy memories that thoughts of her mom’s lemon curd still evoke. The Grand Prize took the cash prize 'cake' in Canadian game show history, winning not only $250,000, but also it will become a President's Choice product! What's really decadent about this recipe is that the top two-thirds will be cake consistency and bottom third will be pudding consistency.
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 44.37 ml all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, separated
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 14.79 ml lemon rind, finely grated
- 118.29 ml lemon juice, fresh
- 354.88 ml 2% low-fat milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 180 C (350 F). Butter a 2-l (8-inch) square glass baking dish.
- In a bowl, sift together sugar and flour; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, place egg whites. Beat on high speed for 4 to 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Transfer whites to another bowl; set aside.
- Place egg yolks in the stand mixer's empty bowl. Using whisk attachment beat on medium-high speed until yolks are thick and lightened in colour. Reduce speed to medium and add butter, lemon rind and juice; beat for 1 more minute. With machine running on medium speed, alternately beat in flour mixture and milk, making 5 additions of flour and 4 of milk.
- Remove bowl from mixer. Fold in egg whites. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Place dish in a large shallow roasting pan. Pour hot water into roasting pan until it is halfway up the side of baking dish.
- Bake in centre of oven for 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. The top two-thirds will be cake consistency and bottom third will be pudding consistency.
- Makes 9 servings.