Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 4 mins
Cook time includes chill time.
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons grated lemons, rind of
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1 pastry shells, baked (9 inches)
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch.
- Stir in milk until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan.
- Bring to a gently boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter and lemon peel.
- Gently stir in juice.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Fold in sour cream and whipped cream.
- Pour into pastry shell.
- Chill at least 1 hour before cutting.
WOW!!! Cannot thank you enough Nurse Di. Wanted to make my mom something special (she loves anything lemon). This pie was a pleasure to make. Great recipe. Only thing mine did not set up very firm, it looked fine but when i cut into it the filling was very soft. Refrigerated 4 hrs b4 trying to serve. But no problem just stuck it in the freezer for a little while and it was perfect. So creamy and smooth my mom could not say enough good things about this pie as well as the others who had the privilege of tasting it (my mom got very possesive of this pie =) Recommend this to all lemon lovers! Thank you Nurse Di =)
This is the best lemon pie, no question. I just pulled up a stool and sat down while doing all that stirring over the stove. I used fresh lemon juice but I don't know how that compares in flavor to bottled. Fresh juice lended excellent, tangy lemon flavor. The filling was creamy and very rich. The real whipping cream makes a difference. Thanks Nurse Di.
My mom is the queen of pie-making so she helped me with this, just to boost my confidence. OMG!! No joking, the filling is the most luscious, sinfully rich, creamy lemon pie filling I have ever tasted. Boss lemon flavor, too. I used fresh squeezed lemon juice and I think that made a difference. We ate this naked on top but some whipped cream would be good. Thanks for an awesome recipe.