Recipe by Teenagecook
I got the original recipe for these from recipegoldmine, but I've made a few tweaks and think they are delicious! They are really light and fluffy with serious lemon flavour, great for any lemon lovers!
Top Review by mums the word
Absolutely delicious lemon muffins! I am giving this 4 1/2 stars as I do believe that there is an error in the "glaze" portion of the recipe. There isn't enough icing sugar to begin to thicken the lemon juice at all. I think this measurement should read 1 1/3 Cups icing sugar as that is what I ended up using and the glaze was the right consistency. Other than that, these are awesome and I thank you for sharing the recipe!
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice, for best results use fresh not bottled
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup lemon juice, enough to make it really thin in consistency
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar till really fluffy. Add egg yolks, mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and add altenately with the lemon juice to the creamed mixture.
- Beat egg white until REALLY stiff, fold into batter with lemon zest.
- Fill paper lined muffin cups three-quarters full. Bake at 350 degrees till lightly golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- While the muffins are still warm prick them all over with the wooden pick.
- Spoon over the lemon glaze, the glaze will be absorbed almost immediately so don't over coat them or they will be soggy.
- When the muffins have cooled the glaze will form a light crust which also helps keep the muffins moister for longer.