Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got the original recipe for these from recipegoldmine, but I've made a few tweaks and think they are delicious! They are really light and fluffy with serious lemon flavour, great for any lemon lovers!
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice, for best results use fresh not bottled
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup lemon juice, enough to make it really thin in consistency
- Cream butter and sugar till really fluffy. Add egg yolks, mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and add altenately with the lemon juice to the creamed mixture.
- Beat egg white until REALLY stiff, fold into batter with lemon zest.
- Fill paper lined muffin cups three-quarters full. Bake at 350 degrees till lightly golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- While the muffins are still warm prick them all over with the wooden pick.
- Spoon over the lemon glaze, the glaze will be absorbed almost immediately so don't over coat them or they will be soggy.
- When the muffins have cooled the glaze will form a light crust which also helps keep the muffins moister for longer.
Absolutely delicious lemon muffins! I am giving this 4 1/2 stars as I do believe that there is an error in the "glaze" portion of the recipe. There isn't enough icing sugar to begin to thicken the lemon juice at all. I think this measurement should read 1 1/3 Cups icing sugar as that is what I ended up using and the glaze was the right consistency. Other than that, these are awesome and I thank you for sharing the recipe!