Lovely frosting, makes enough frosting to cover tops and sides of two 9-inch layers
Make and share this Luscious Lemon Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- Add lemon rind to butter; cream well.
- Add part of sugar gradually, blending after each addition.
- Combine lemon juice and water; add to creamed mixture, alternately with remaining sugar, until of right consistency to spread.
- Beat after each addition until smooth.
- Add salt.
- Makes enough frosting to cover tops and sides of two 9-inch layers, or to cover the top and sides of golden sponge loaf.
Made this as part of a red and yellow graduation theme. I added some meringue powder to make it stiff enough for cupcakes and a little food coloring to fit with the color theme. This frosting was a huge hit.
Beautiful!! Very easy to make and tastes great even without the zest. I didn't have any fresh lemons so used bottled lemon juice. It still turned out awesome. I can imagine how terrific it would be with the zest and fresh juice. It made enough to generously frost an 8 inch Meyer's Lemon Cake from a boxed mix. I will add this to my tried and true file.
Loved this recipe! Very simple to make and really lemony (if thats a word). I did make sure to add the zest from two smaller lemons and 2 1/2 tbsp of the lemon juice from the lemons. I played with the water to get it to the right consistency. Just add a little at a time. I was able to cover 30 lemon poppy seed cupcakes. I did skimp a bit on the last 3 to make it stretch though. If you like a lot of frosting for a two layer cake I would definately double this recipe. Use it quickly cuz the frosting tends to start to form a a light crust if it sits. If it does just add a little bit more water and smooth it out before you apply it on cake.