Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Evelyn Rose was arguably at the forefront of British/Jewish cooking and this recipe of hers NEVER FAILS! Perfect for those who love lemons! Can be served with or without the syrup; both are amazing. A little lemon juice can also be added into the cake mix for an extra lemony kick.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Line the bottom of a well-oiled 23 x 13 x 7.5cm (9 x 5 x 3in) loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Put the eggs and sugar in the bowl of the food processor and process for 2 minutes, scraping the sides down once with a rubber spatula. Take off the lid and drop spoonfuls of the soft butter or margarine on top of this mixture, together with the lemon zest, then pulse just until it disappears. The mixture should now resemble mayonnaise.
- Add the flour, milk and salt, cover and pulse just until the mixture is smooth in texture and even in colour, scraping the sides down with a rubber spatula if necessary. Do not over-beat or the cake will be tough.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes, until golden brown on top and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and stand the tin on a cooling rack. To make the syrup, gently heat the sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan, stirring until a clear syrup is formed, about 3 minutes. Do not boil.
- Prick the warm cake all over with a fork, then gently pour the syrup over it, until it has been completely absorbed.
- Leave until cool, then carefully ease the cake from the baking tin and remove the baking parchment.
- Just before serving, sift a little more icing sugar on the top. Serve in generous slices.
Lusciously lemony, mouth-wateringly moist, incredibly sweet, totally irresistible!
I made this, doubled the mix and added in lemon juice from 2 lemons when mixing in the flour - it was absolutely the best lemon cake I've cooked/eaten and it uses readily available pantry ingredients!
So, so, so delicious. Very easy too. Highly recommended. I have been using this recipe regularly for months, never fails. Fantastic light-as-air texture. Lemon syrup works equally well with granulated sugar.