Got this recipe from an English friend of mine. This lemon spread is wonderful on scone or toast, and muffins. I have made it for several years as some of my Christmas gifts. I have never deviated from this recipe, and it's so good and rich!
- Combine sugar and egg yolks in a medium sized pan.
- Stir in the lemon juice gradually and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of your spoon and registers 168 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Do not let this mixture boil.
- Remove mixture from the heat, and wisk until it is slightly cooled.
- Stir in the butter and grated lemon zest.
- Cool completely and place in jars for yourself and gift giving.
Oh my is this good!!! I used Myer lemons and reduced the sugar ever so slightly. Thanks for a keeper!
Fabulous! I am English and I LOVE lemon curd! Now I tagged this recipe to try a new version as I have my own recipes which I make, and it was great; I did have to cut back on the ingredient quantities quite a lot - there is only so much lemon curd that even I can eat!! I used 3 egg yolks, 2 ozs butter and 1/2 cup of sugar and then used the zest and juice of one small lemon - it all worked out fine! A LOVELY recipe - a litle bit different to how I make mine - but still wonderful! Thanks VERY much! FT:-)