The crust is pressed into a square baking pan and baked, then filled with lemon filling and topped with a coconut meringue. Easier than pie and so delicious.
- Combine the filling ingredients, cook, stirring constantly until thick and set aside.
- For the crust, cream butter, add brown sugar and beat well.
- Blend in the flour and press into the bottom of an ungreased 9" square baking pan.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then spread with cooled filling.
- For topping, beat egg whites, gradually add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in 2 cups coconut and cover lemon filling with the topping.
- Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes longer or until browned.
- Cool and cut into squares.