Recipe by MustangMom
I found this recipe in the March ’06 Good Housekeeping Magazine and had to try it immediately! We all loved it! I made a few minor changes to the frosting: I used 4 cups sugar, 8 oz. cream cheese, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and I also added some grated lemon peel (maybe 1 tsp.) Both cake and frosting were deliciously lemony! :)
Top Review by mdjeffrey79
I have been searching for this recipe forever! I cut it out of the 3/06 GH magazine, made it a few times and lost the clipping! I've been so upset because it is the best cake ever. I'm 7 mos. pregnant now and craving this cake like crazy... thank god for google! Thank you so much for saving me!!
- 3 -6 lemons
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Grease and flour 12-cup bundt pan.
- From lemons, grate 2 tablespoons peel and squeeze 3 tablespoons juice.
- Mix flour, salt and baking soda.
- In bowl with mixer on low speed, blend sugar and butter. On high, beat 3 minutes.
- On low, beat in eggs, 1 at a time, and vanilla.
- Beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fold in peel and juice.
- Spoon into pan.
- Bake 60 to 70 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes, then invert onto rack.
- In bowl, with mixer on low speed, blend sugar, butter and cream cheese.
- Beat in juice and vanilla.
- On high, beat until fluffy.
- Spread over cooled cake.