Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon rind, of (2 medium lemons)
- 7 -8 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven 350°.
- Crust: First soften butter and put into bowl.
- Then add the flour and the powdered sugar, and mix thoroughly with wisk.
- Next spread dough evenly into a 9 x 13 inch pan and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Filling: Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Then cover the bowl, and refrigerate while the crust is cooking.
- Lemon curd: blend the egg yolks with the cornstarch and sugar in a saucepan and place over the stove on a low heat.
- Next whisk in the water and lemon juice, turn up to medium heat until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat, add lemon peel and butter.
- Then let cool for a few minutes.
- Assembling: Spread the cream cheese filling after the crust has cooled for a few minutes.
- Next carefully spread the lemon curd over the cream cheese and put back in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, and chill for 1 hour before cutting into bars.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top.