Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is from Southern Living - I increased the lemon from 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup. It might just be the type of lemons that grow on my tree - but they just weren't quite tangy enough til I made that change. Everyone LOVES these.
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour (divided)
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice (I use fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- powdered sugar
- Combine 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until crumbly. Firmly press mixture into a lightly greased 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes, or til lightly browned.
- whisk eggs in a large bowl; whisk in 2 cups sugar and lemon juice. Combine remaining 1/4 cup flour and baking powder; whisk into egg mixture. Pour batter over crust.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or til set. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars and sprinkle evenly with additional powdered sugar. (I use a sifter). Cut into squares. Store in fridge.
Delicious and perfect texture. Exactly what I was looking for in a lemon bar. These don't have powdered sugar on top and the appearance suffered a little for it. However, that's only on Day 3. On the day they were made, they were so pretty, they didn't need a powdered sugar topping. Very pretty without it.
I give this recipe 10 stars!!!! It was so amazingly lemony and sweet, and I loved how there are leftovers for tomorrow. Much better than store-bought lemon bars. This is definitely a keeper! Thanks!