Prep 4 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This is perfect summertime fare.It's a light refreshing dessert that makes a wonderful finale to a barbecue supper or potluck dinner.The only problem is there's never any leftovers!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- 0.5 (1 1/2 ounce) package whipped dessert topping mix (1 envelope)
- 8 cups cubed angel food cake (1 inch cubes)
- 1 (16 ounce) can apricots, well drained and sliced thinly
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan.
- Gradually stir in water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon peel, juice and butter or margarine.
- Press waxed paper on surface of lemon mixture to prevent skin from forming.
- Refrigerate for about 4 hours or until chilled.
- Prepare whipped topping mix as directed on package.
- Put aside 3/4 cup of whipped topping for garnish.
- Fold remaining whipped topping into lemon mixture.
- In a glass bowl layer 1/3 of the cake cubes, then 1/3 of the lemon mixture and 1/3 of the apricots.
- Repeat twice more.
- Decorate with remaining whipped topping.