Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This also has directions of cutting and stacking layers. Great for Thanksgiving as well.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin, divided
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipped topping, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup caramel topping
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Beat cake mix, 1 cup of the pumpkin, the milk, oil, eggs and 1 teaspoons of the pumpkin pie spice in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- BAKE 28 to 30 minute or until wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minute
- Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese in small bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy.
- Add sugar, remaining pumpkin and remaining 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice; mix well.
- Stir in the whipped topping.
- CUT each cake layer horizontally in half with serrated knife.
- Stack layers on serving plate, spreading the cream cheese filling between layers. (Do not frost top of cake.).
- Drizzle cake with caramel topping just before serving; sprinkle with the pecans.
- Store leftover cake in refrigerator.
- How to Slice and Stack Cake Layers:
- Place one of the cooled cake layers on a serving plate.
- Make a 2-inch horizontal cut around side of cake using a long serrated knife.
- Then, cut all of the way through the cake layer to make two layers.
- Remove the top layer by sliding it onto a 9-inch round cardboard circle.
- Frost the cake layer on the serving plate with one-third of the whipped topping mixture, then slide the top half of the split cake layer from the cardboard circle onto the frosted layer on plate.
- Place the remaining unsplit cake layer on a cutting board.
- Cut into two layers as done for the first layer.
- Repeat the process of transferring the cake layers to the stacked cake layers on plate using the cardboard circle.