Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
This is an heirloom cooking recipe from the Chicago Tribune. Thank Irene K for it. She suggests serving it with ice cream or fresh fruit, or add chocolate syrup to half the batter and marble it.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 325°.
- Sift flour and baking powder together; set aside.
- Combine the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl of an electric mixer; mix until fluffy on medium speed.
- Beat in the sugar until mixture is light and creamy, about 4 minutes.
- Add 2 of the eggs, beating until combined.
- Beat in 1 cup of the flour mixture.
- Repeat twice with more eggs and flour, beating after each addition.
- Pour batter into a greased 10-inch tube pan; bake until golden and a tester comes out clean, about 1 hour, 25 minutes.
This is one of my favorite pound cake recipes. I've been making it for years. The simplicity of the flavors and the texture are wonderful. Thanks HJ for sharing. I had almost worn out the recipe card I have this written on!