1/2 Photos of Luscious Coconut Cake
1 hr 5 mins
This recipe is posted by request. You can thank Southern Living for this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- 1 (6 ounce) package frozen flaked coconut, thawed
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 (6 ounce) packages frozen flaked coconut, thawed
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Coconut Milk Frosting
- 1Cake: Beat together the first seveningredients at medium speed until mixed well.
- 2Add the extracts and mix well.
- 3Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 4Stir in coconut.
- 5Pour batter into 4 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans.
- 6Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 7Cool pans on a rack 10 minutes before removing.
- 8Continue to cool on the rack until room temp is reached.
- 9Coconut Filling: Cook together the sugar, flour, milk, and eggs in a large saucepan over medium low heat, whisking constantly, for 15 minutes.
- 10You want it thick and bubbly.
- 11Remove from heat.
- 12Stir in coconut and vanilla-mix well and cool completely.
- 13(makes 5&1/2 cups) Spread coconut filling between layers.
- 14Beat whipping cream on high until foamy.
- 15Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaaks form.
- 16Spread on top and sides of cake.
- 17Garnish with toasted coconut flakes.
- 19Coconut Milk Frosting: Beat together the butter, salt, vanilla and almond extract until fluffy.
- 20Add sugar alternately with coconut milk, beating until smooth.
- 21Frost cake and garnish with toasted coconut.
- 22(makes 9 cups).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Luscious Coconut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (5825 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 21190.0
- Calories from Fat 9128
- Total Fat 1014.2 g
- Saturated Fat 603.1 g
- Cholesterol 3404.7 mg
- Sodium 8061.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2957.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 61.5 g
- Sugars 2486.8 g
- Protein 156.7 g