Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Adapted from the "Best of the Best of Colorado." The original recipe called for burnt sugar flavoring or caramel flavoring for the topping, both of which I find very difficult to obtain. You may sub any flavor extract that you find appropriate, such as vanilla or any nut flavored extract.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups apples, cored, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon burnt sugar flavoring or 1⁄2 teaspoon caramel flavoring
- Cream sugar, margarine, and butter flavoring until smooth and fluffy.
- Mix together buttermilk and baking soda, then add to the sugar mixture.
- Add the beaten eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Stir in flour and salt, mixing just enough to combine (leave some lumps).
- Fold in apples and nuts.
- Pour into greased& floured loaf pan.
- Combine topping ingredients and drop blobs of topping over the top of the batter.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick tests clean.
- Cool on wire rack.