Recipe by HeatherFeather
Adapted from the "Best of the Best of Colorado." The original recipe called for burnt sugar flavoring or caramel flavoring for the topping, both of which I find very difficult to obtain. You may sub any flavor extract that you find appropriate, such as vanilla or any nut flavored extract.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups apples, cored, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon burnt sugar flavoring or 1⁄2 teaspoon caramel flavoring
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream sugar, margarine, and butter flavoring until smooth and fluffy.
- Mix together buttermilk and baking soda, then add to the sugar mixture.
- Add the beaten eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Stir in flour and salt, mixing just enough to combine (leave some lumps).
- Fold in apples and nuts.
- Pour into greased& floured loaf pan.
- Combine topping ingredients and drop blobs of topping over the top of the batter.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick tests clean.
- Cool on wire rack.