1/6 Photos of Lu's Excellent Cabbage Rolls
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe has evolved over the years, originally based on my mom's recipe. I've tried tomato sauce and diced tomatoes for the sauce and found them to be too acidic. The tomato soup is just right, I think. The ham is wonderful in these.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 680.38 g ground beef (or you can use 1 lb. ground beef and 1/2 lb. ground turkey for less fat)
- 226.79 g ground ham or 226.79 g bulk pork sausage
- 118.29 ml raw white rice
- 2 eggs
- 14.79-29.58 ml dried onion flakes
- 14.79 ml dried parsley flakes
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 1Core cabbage and place stem side up in a bowl.
- 2Place in microwave and cook on high for 15 minutes.
- 3While cabbage is cooking, combine ground meats, rice, eggs, onion, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- 4When cabbage is done, stick a fork in the stem end and peel off individual cabbage leaves.
- 5Starting at stem end of leaf, place enough meat to fill lower leaf with space left on both sides.
- 6Fold bottom of leaf up over meat mixture, then fold over left and right sides; roll the rest.
- 7Place rolls in a single layer in a large oven-proof casserole dish.
- 8Cut remaining cabbage into wedges and lay on top of rolls.
- 9If you don't have ground ham or pork sausage, you can place a ham bone in the center of casserole.
- 10It will flavor the whole pot.
- 11Combine tomato soup, water, and bay leaf; pour over cabbage rolls.
- 12The rolls should be immersed.
- 13You can add more water if necessary.
- 14The rice will soak up the moisture.
- 15Place casserole dish on stove and bring to a simmer.
- 16Bake in 350 F oven for 1 1/2-2 hrs.
- 17Check level of sauce.
- 18Add water if necessary.
- 19Baste sauce over cabbage wedges occasionally.
- 20You can also cook these on the stove top.
- 21My mom always did, but I find it easier to control the simmer in the oven.
- 22DON'T let the cabbage rolls dry out!
- 23Serve with mashed potatoes or cooked noodles.
- 24NOTE: If making this in the crockpot, I would suggest using Minute Rice.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lu's Excellent Cabbage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (554 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 498.6
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 167.2 mg
- Sodium 1219.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 32.7 g