Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
......mmmm, fresh picked tomatoes right out of the garden. Is there anything better? I served this salad with a big bowl of spaghetti and meatballs. Your favorite wine is also in order.
- 4 cups French bread or 4 cups Italian bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled,seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, torn into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons black olives, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 5 cups mixed salad greens
- Place bread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Toast in 300 degree oven until golden brown, approximately 15 minutes.
- Stir cubes frequently for even browning.
- Remove and let cool.
- Gently toss cucumbers, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, basil, olives and garlic together in a large bowl.
- Sprinle vinegar over mixture.
- Next, drizzle olive oil over it.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper toss gently to combine flavors.
- Let salad stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or until bread softens slightly.
- Serve immediately on a bed of mixed greens.
Yummy. Great way to use up stale bread + it's delicious and easy to prepare! Thanks for sharing this.