Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Bon Appetit - January 2003 - Lupa - Mario Batali's Roman-style trattoria in New York City
- 1 1⁄4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped jalapeno chile, with seeds (about 4 large)
- 3 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
Chicken and Vegetables
- 1 cup olive oil, plus
- 10 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (3 1/2 lb) chicken, cut lengthwise in half,backbones removed (preferably organic)
- 4 large lemons, thinly sliced into rounds,plus
- 1⁄2 lemon
- sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1 inch cubes (such as Maui)
- 10 small carrots, cut into 1 inch lengths (about 14 ounces)
- 8 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- The"devil's oil" needs to steep overnight, and the chicken halves need to marinate at least four hours DEVIL'S OIL: Combine all ingredients in heavy small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until oil bubbles at edge of pan and thermometer registers 200 degrees F, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Set oil aside overnight to steep.
- Strain oil through fine sieve into small bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much oil as possible.
- Season oil to taste with salt.
- (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.) CHICKEN?
- VEGETABLES: Whisk 1 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup pepper in 15 x 10 x 2-inch glass baking dish to blend.
- Add chicken halves to pepper oil; turn to coat well and arrange in single layer.
- Tuck lemon slices between and on top of chicken halves.
- Spoon some pepper oil fro dish over chicken halves.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, turning chicken halves occasional.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Heat 2 heavy large (11- to 12-inch) ovenproof skillets (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat 5 minutes.
- Add 3 tablespoons olive oil to each.
- Remove chicken halves from pepper oil and discard lemon slices; sprinkle each chicken half with coarse salt and black pepper.
- Place 2 chicken halves, skin side down, in each skillet.
- Cook until skin is deep golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Place skillets in oven and roast until chicken is cooked through and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180 degrees F, about 25 minutes.
- Using tongs, turn chicken skin side up in skillets; let rest 5 minutes.
- Heat remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrots and celery; sauté until celery begins to look translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover saucepan and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Mix glaze into vegetables; season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon vegetables onto platter.
- Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Top with chicken.
- Serve chicken and vegetables, passing devil's oil separately.
This is an excellent dish! The devils oil can be used in many things, so keep it handy. The vegetables sound like they would be bland, but they are not.