Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Bon Appetit - January 2003 - Lupa - Mario Batali's Roman-style trattoria in New York City
Make and share this LUPA POLLO ALLA DIAVOLA (Deviled Roast Chicken with Vegetables) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped jalapeno chile, with seeds (about 4 large)
- 3 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
Chicken and Vegetables
- 1 cup olive oil, plus
- 10 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (3 1/2 lb) chicken, cut lengthwise in half,backbones removed (preferably organic)
- 4 large lemons, thinly sliced into rounds,plus
- 1⁄2 lemon
- sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1 inch cubes (such as Maui)
- 10 small carrots, cut into 1 inch lengths (about 14 ounces)
- 8 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- The"devil's oil" needs to steep overnight, and the chicken halves need to marinate at least four hours DEVIL'S OIL: Combine all ingredients in heavy small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until oil bubbles at edge of pan and thermometer registers 200 degrees F, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Set oil aside overnight to steep.
- Strain oil through fine sieve into small bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much oil as possible.
- Season oil to taste with salt.
- (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.) CHICKEN?
- VEGETABLES: Whisk 1 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup pepper in 15 x 10 x 2-inch glass baking dish to blend.
- Add chicken halves to pepper oil; turn to coat well and arrange in single layer.
- Tuck lemon slices between and on top of chicken halves.
- Spoon some pepper oil fro dish over chicken halves.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, turning chicken halves occasional.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Heat 2 heavy large (11- to 12-inch) ovenproof skillets (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat 5 minutes.
- Add 3 tablespoons olive oil to each.
- Remove chicken halves from pepper oil and discard lemon slices; sprinkle each chicken half with coarse salt and black pepper.
- Place 2 chicken halves, skin side down, in each skillet.
- Cook until skin is deep golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Place skillets in oven and roast until chicken is cooked through and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180 degrees F, about 25 minutes.
- Using tongs, turn chicken skin side up in skillets; let rest 5 minutes.
- Heat remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrots and celery; sauté until celery begins to look translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover saucepan and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Mix glaze into vegetables; season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon vegetables onto platter.
- Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Top with chicken.
- Serve chicken and vegetables, passing devil's oil separately.