1 hr 10 mins
mahtavajon Nye's Note:
Bon Appetit - January 2003 - Lupa - Mario Batali's Roman-style trattoria in New York City
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped jalapeno chile, with seeds (about 4 large)
- 3 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
Chicken and Vegetables
- 1 cup olive oil, plus
- 10 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (3 1/2 lb) chicken, cut lengthwise in half,backbones removed (preferably organic)
- 4 large lemons, thinly sliced into rounds,plus
- 1/2 lemon
- sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1 inch cubes (such as Maui)
- 10 small carrots, cut into 1 inch lengths (about 14 ounces)
- 8 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1The"devil's oil" needs to steep overnight, and the chicken halves need to marinate at least four hours DEVIL'S OIL: Combine all ingredients in heavy small saucepan.
- 2Cook over medium heat until oil bubbles at edge of pan and thermometer registers 200 degrees F, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- 3Set oil aside overnight to steep.
- 4Strain oil through fine sieve into small bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much oil as possible.
- 5Season oil to taste with salt.
- 6(Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.) CHICKEN?
- 7VEGETABLES: Whisk 1 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup pepper in 15 x 10 x 2-inch glass baking dish to blend.
- 8Add chicken halves to pepper oil; turn to coat well and arrange in single layer.
- 9Tuck lemon slices between and on top of chicken halves.
- 10Spoon some pepper oil fro dish over chicken halves.
- 11Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, turning chicken halves occasional.
- 12Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- 13Heat 2 heavy large (11- to 12-inch) ovenproof skillets (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat 5 minutes.
- 14Add 3 tablespoons olive oil to each.
- 15Remove chicken halves from pepper oil and discard lemon slices; sprinkle each chicken half with coarse salt and black pepper.
- 16Place 2 chicken halves, skin side down, in each skillet.
- 17Cook until skin is deep golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- 18Place skillets in oven and roast until chicken is cooked through and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180 degrees F, about 25 minutes.
- 19Using tongs, turn chicken skin side up in skillets; let rest 5 minutes.
- 20Heat remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 21Add onion, carrots and celery; sauté until celery begins to look translucent, about 8 minutes.
- 22Add chicken broth and bring to boil.
- 23Reduce heat to medium-low; cover saucepan and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- 24Mix glaze into vegetables; season with salt and pepper.
- 25Spoon vegetables onto platter.
- 26Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
- 27Top with chicken.
- 28Serve chicken and vegetables, passing devil's oil separately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for LUPA POLLO ALLA DIAVOLA (Deviled Roast Chicken with Vegetables)
Serving Size: 1 (1361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2624.8
- Calories from Fat 2133
- Total Fat 237.0 g
- Saturated Fat 43.6 g
- Cholesterol 362.2 mg
- Sodium 516.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.8 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 96.3 g