Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I prep this the night before and take it in a mini crock pot to work. It cooks all morning and makes my officemates jealous, and then I have fresh, delicious chili at lunchtime! One pot makes 2-3 lunches for me.
- 1⁄4 lb lean ground beef, turkey or 1⁄4 lb sausage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (use no-sodium-added)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans (use no-sodium-added)
- 0.5 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 -2 cup nonfat beef broth (I use homemade vegetable stock) or 1 -2 cup vegetable broth (I use homemade vegetable stock)
- 1⁄4 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pinch cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1. Line a mini crock pot with a Reynolds Slow-Cooker liner.
- 2. Cook ground beef in a medium skillet. Once cooked, put ground beef in crock pot. Retain the drippings in the skillet. If there are no drippings, add a tsp or so of oil.
- 3. Return the skillet to medium-high heat. Add red pepper flakes and cook about 30 seconds. Stir in onion, and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic, and cook another minute or so. Make sure that the garlic does not overcook.
- 4. Add onion mixture to crock pot, along with all remaining ingredients.
- 5. If you are transporting the chili to work or elsewhere: Gather up the crock pot liner and gently press most of the air out. Tie it shut with a rubber band or hair tie. This will keep it from leaking in transit.
- 6. Cook on low all day, or on high at least 4 hours.