Recipe by Miss Annie
This is one of those old recipes that tastes like the school lunchroom tamale pie. I always ate in the lunchroom on the day they served this. It is also one of the recipes that I just do, so prep time is an estimate only.
Top Review by GinnyP
I enjoyed the flavor of this. I suggest draining the beef after browning. Also, I used a two-quart casserole, but I wonder if a 9 x 13 x 2-inch dish would be better. What do you use Miss Annie? Also, step #7, mine thickened up in about 3 minutes! :)
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups cold water
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, crushed
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- non-fat cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground chuck.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and cook until tender.
- Add chili powder, black pepper, garlic powder, 1 teaspoons.
- salt and tomatoes.
- Simmer for 10 minutes and keep warm.
- Mix cornmeal with cold water.
- Add boiling water and cook about 10 minutes, or until thick.
- Add 1 teaspoons salt, stir well.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Use 2/3 of cornmeal mixture on bottom& sides of casserole dish.
- Pour meat mixture into casserole dish.
- Spread the remaining 1/3 of cornmeal mixture over meat mixture.
- Dot with margarine.
- Bake at 375°F for 40 minutes.